Krytox™ grease in a sootblower gearbox after testing
Hydrocarbon grease in a sootblower bearing is completely oxidized after several months.
Soot blowers remove the accumulated ash and particles from boiler tubes to keep a boiler running efficiently and cleanly. This is a tough environment for a lubricant with high operating temperatures. Hydrocarbon lubricants in the gearbox can oxidize, leading to high maintenance requirements.
Krytox™ has been used successfully in soot blower gearboxes for several years without failure or need for re-lubrication. DuPont developed a test rig to simulate the environment of a soot blower and demonstrate the capabilities of Krytox™. The photos above show Krytox® gearbox grease and a commonly used hydrocarbon grease after this test.
What to do:
- Remove old grease from the soot blower gearbox and clean all surfaces
- Start with a new clean bearing
- Grease the soot blower gearbox and bearing with Krytox™ grease
- Return the soot blower to service
- Longer lubricant and gearbox life
- No oxidation of the lubricant
- Reduced maintenance requirements
Looking at the photos above, which lubricant would you rather be running in your gearbox? Contact Boulden today to discuss Krytox™ for your soot blowers.