Vespel® CR-6100 throat bushing for multi-stage horizontal pump
What Does A Throat Bushing Do?
A throat bushing in a pump isolates the mechanical seal environment from the overall flow within the pump. By changing the clearance at the throat bushing, pressure in the seal chamber and seal flush flow rate can be manipulated to provide a better sealing environment.
Many mechanical seal flush plans use a “close-clearance” throat bushing to accomplish this. For example:
- Plans 11 & 14 use a close-clearance throat bushing to build pressure in seal chambers
- Plans 21 & 23 use close-clearance throat bushings to isolate cooled fluid from hot process liquids
- Plan 32 uses a close-clearance throat bushing to isolate clean external flushes from dirty or corrosive process fluids
Why Use Vespel® for Throat Bushings?
Several API 682 seal flush plans require close-clearance throat bushings to function properly. Many of these designs rely on “floating” spring-positioned carbon bushings.
DuPont™ Vespel® CR-6100 is an ideal material for throat bushings and an effective replacement for carbon. It is a durable, impact resistant, and thermal shock resistant material that is easy to machine. Vespel® CR-6100 has a low wear rate for long working life in any application. And, because the material is non-seizing, solid Vespel® bushings can be used in place of floating carbon bushings.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Throat Bushings
- Replace the existing throat bushing material with Vespel® CR-6100
- Use the clearance recommended by the mechanical seal manufacturer for your flush plan
Benefits of Vespel® CR-6100 Throat Bushings
- Low wear
- Impact and thermal shock resistant
- Easy to machine and install
Additional DuPont™ Vespel® CR-6100
Contact Boulden today to learn more about Vespel® CR-6100.
Request a quote on Vespel® CR-6100 for your throat bushing applications. Or, contact Boulden with your application details. We have the material you need in stock and ready to ship. You can also learn more about Vespel® CR-6100 by signing up for our newsletter!